The Subir Raha Memorial Lecture is an annual event held to honour Late Mr. Subir Raha, former CMD, ONGC and the Founder President of the Global Compact Network India. Mr. Raha set up the organization in November 2003 and led it till May 2006. His visualization and forethought has been instrumental in leading the GCNI to become one of the first networks of the United Nations Global Compact, a legal entity. Late Mr. Subir Raha, led ONGC towards the achievement of multiple milestones during his tenure. He also led ONGC from a sectoral E&P company to become an Integrated Energy Major on a global scale; acquiring many equity assets overseas. His vision and foresight made ONGC the first Indian Corporate to lead the agenda on responsible business in India.
Subir Raha, former CMD ONGC and former Chairman ONGC Group of Companies left for heavenly abode on 01 February, 2010. The Memorial lecture is for us a solemn event where we homage to the achievements of a great leader.
Born on August 28, 1948 Mr. Raha graduated in Electronics & Tele-communication Engineering from Jadavpur University in 1969. He was also an alumnus of the Administrative Staff College at Henley of Leeds University, UK.
He joined Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Ltd as Chairman & Managing Director in May 2001; and separated on completion of 5 years tenure in May, 2006.
ONGC achieved multiple milestones during his tenure. ONGC’s market capitalisation zoomed to become the highest among all Indian Corporate. He was personally instrumental in ONGC acquiring MRPL and turning it around from almost BIFR status to the present Maha-Ratna status. He also led ONGC into aggressive exploration, especially in deep waters of India, and initiated IOR/ EOR projects to arrest the production decline of its mature fields.
He also led ONGC from a sectoral E&P company to become an Integrated Energy Major on global scale; acquiring many equity assets overseas. He also initiated expansion of ONGC into various value integration projects in the field of Petrochemicals, SEZ, Power, clean coal energy and alternate sources of energy.
Under his dynamic leadership, ONGC was the first Indian Corporate to sign the Integrity Pact with Transparency International (India) Ltd in April 2006. To further improve transparency in business transactions in ONGC, he introduced IT along the entire supply chain management of ONGC. Introduction of regular meeting with Vendors, Analysts, Investors even Employees were also unique initiatives of Mr. Raha. He branded ONGC from a Govt undertaking to a global oil and gas major through series of media interaction and branding activities.
He started his career with Indian Oil Corporation Ltd, as a Management Trainee in 1970. After a series of field and staff assignments in various disciplines, he joined the Indian Oil Board as Director (Human Resources) in June 1998.
Before joining the Indian Oil Board, he also served on deputation (1996-98) with the Government of India as the Head of the Oil Coordination Committee, Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas.
Subir Raha is survived by his wife Mita, daughter Shuva and son Abhijit.
The lecture since its inception in 2010 has been attended by Corporate Leaders, CMDs and Senior Managerial Personnel from leading private and public sector companies. The informative value of the lecture has also drawn students from leading academic Institutes and development professional from non-governmental organizations.
- Mr. Nandan Nilekani, Chairman, UIDAI, Government of India delivered the first memorial lecture on the theme ‘Unique Identification Project – Experiences and Lessons for Transparency’ on July 07, 2010, at the Scope Convention Centre, Scope Complex, Lodhi Road, New Delhi Read More
- Mr. B Muthuraman, Vice Chairman, Tata Steel Limited delivered the second memorial lecture on the theme ‘Corporate Governance and Responsibility of Companies towards Community’ on June 27, 2011, at the Scope Convention Centre, Scope Complex, Lodhi Road, New Delhi Read More
- Dr. Sam Pitroda, Adviser to the Prime Minister of India on Public Information Infrastructure and Innovations delivered the third memorial lecture, organised last year, on the theme ‘Sustainable Development and Inclusive Growth in 21st Century: Possibilities and Challenges for India’ on November 06, 2012, at the Scope Convention Centre, Scope Complex, Lodhi Road, New Delhi Read More
- Mr. U.K. Sinha, Chairman, SEBI delivered the fourth memorial lecture on the theme “Expanding Paradigm of Corporate Governance” on July 01, 2013, at the Scope Convention Centre, Scope Complex, Lodhi Road, New Delhi Read More
- Padma Vibhushan, Dr. Anil Kakodkar, Former Chairman, Atomic Energy Commission & INAE Satish Dhawan Chair of Engineering Eminence delivered the 5th Subir Raha memorial lecture, organised by Global Compact Network India (GCNI) on 10th March 2015 at SCOPE Convention Centre, SCOPE Complex, New Delhi Read More